“We gave our directives that the year 2016 be the year of reading because reading is the basic skill for a new generation of scientists, intellectual, researchers and innovators.”
– His Highness Sheikh Mohammed
The REAL Men Read UAE (RMRUAE) is a reading initiative launched by Kevin Simpson of Abu Dhabi during March 2016 in response to His Highness Sheikh Mohammed’s call for ideas to promote #ReadingYear. Real Men Read has been in the United States for some time and is designed to deepen literacy and instill a love for reading in students through guys who are willing to share a grade appropriate book with a group of students. This could be a father reading to their kid(s) at home, educators reading to students at school or citizens volunteering to read to students in the community.
Follow us on social media at #RMRUAE.
How to participate
- Choose a book (based on interest of students or your favorite childhood book)
- Choose who to read to (inquire at your child’s school, your child (children), children in your community with parent’s permission)
- Read the book to the students and take a picture (with parent permission)
- Share it on social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) with the hashtag #RMRUAE #your emirate (dubai, abudhabi, sharjah, etc.). If you are not on social media email your pictures to Kevin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Challenge three other guys you know to do the same
To participate in RMR UAE email email@example.com.
To learn more about 2016 declared as the year of reading please visit http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/government/uae-declares-2016-as-year-of-reading-1.1631695